Tenant Organizer/Civic Engagement Team Coordinator
The Massachusetts Alliance of HUD Tenants (MAHT), a tenant controlled alliance of resident organizations in HUD and MassHousing subsidized housing, seeks an experienced organizer committed to tenant empowerment to serve as a Tenant Organizer/Civic Engagement Team Coordinator.
Founded in 1983, MAHT has saved and improved more than 12,600 apartments at risk of conversion to market rents, as permanently affordable housing, including 1,400 in resident-controlled ownership, through tenant organizing, one building at a time. MAHT is the oldest and most accomplished local HUD tenants' union nationwide.
MAHT has pioneered creative, progressive housing policies at the local, citywide, statewide, national and global levels, by mobilizing tenants to Save Our Homes. We are looking for full or part-time staff to help build MAHTs tenant union membership, power, and effectiveness and to sustain the organization for the long haul.
Tenant organizing and outreach:
- Assist tenants in organizing successful tenant groups and campaigns at the building level to save and improve federal and state-assisted multifamily housing
- Provide training, leadership development, and technical assistance to tenants
- Help tenants negotiate with owners and agencies to obtain repairs, services and affordable rents
- Coordinate door-knocking drives
- Prepare fliers, minutes, fact sheets, newsletters and other materials, including posting to MAHT website and social media platforms
- Assist in organizing MAHT Membership meetings and activities, including MAHT newsletter and social media
Coordinate MAHT’s Civic Engagement project:
- Coordinate MAHT’s participation in the Mass Voter Table/MassVOTE Civic Engagement project
- Recruit, train and coordinate MAHT volunteers and part-time stipend workers to doorknock voters for increased turnout in September Preliminary and November Final Elections, using MiniVAN database, including weekly team meetings
- Assist in collecting signatures for Raise Up Massachusetts initiative petition to Raise the Minimum Wage and/or Lift the Ban on Rent Control, if campaigns emerge
Help represent MAHT in state and citywide coalitions and lobbying campaigns:
- Assist in representing MAHT in city and statewide campaigns
- Mobilize tenants and allies to participate in MAHT Lobby Team, hearings, actions, meetings and fundraisers
- Commitment to social change and empowerment of lower income people
- Organizing and training experience in low income communities and communities of color, preferably in the housing field
- Experience in planning and conducting meetings, campaigns, strategies
- Experience in organizing large events, direct actions and/or lobby campaigns
- Ability to supervise and train part-time staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of government-assisted housing issues or ability to learn
- Flexibility, ability to work with small office team, adjusting to fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer and social media skills, experience with website design/maintenance helpful
- Experience with Voter Action Network (VAN) database or ability to learn
- Availability to work evenings and weekends, ability to handle flexible work schedule
- Ability and willingness to travel; access to a car
- Bi-lingual capacity (Spanish, Creole, Russian, Vietnamese and/or Chinese) helpful
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Part-time Civic Engagement team, volunteers.
Salary: $50,000 to $60,000, depending on experience, for FTE. Prefer full time, but part-time possible
Benefits: 2/3 health and dental insurance; two weeks paid vacation first year, more thereafter
Please e-mail your resume and cover letter to [email protected] and we will be in touch with you for an interview.
MAHT is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. People of color and residents of multifamily HUD housing are encouraged to apply.